Campbell River to New Mexico

Campbell River to New Mexico
2011

Friday 27 July 2012

Wawa, Ontario


Wawa, Ontario
We left Sudbury following the highway 17, heading North, the roads were wet but the wipers were not flapping time so we crossed our fingers and hoped for NO rain.  I had my new Gators on so I knew my feet would be dry at the end of the ride.
On the map the road looks like it is following along the shore line of the North Channel of Lake Huron but in reality you only get fleeting glimpses of the majestic lake.   This road reminds me of Route 66, there are a lot of motels, gas stations and stores that have been closed and boarded up probably due to the lack of tourists.  It seems that the area is known for hunting and fishing; there are signs everywhere warning “do not drive at night” and big pictures of MOOSE.  I was hoping to see one of the majestic creatures down in a swamp but no such luck.
There were lots of little hamlets along the route but nothing too exciting, we headed North at Sault Ste. Marie or as the locals call it “The Soo”. We stopped for gas in Wawa, around 4:30 and thought we would have to keep going to find a room for the night.  Lucky for me, to get to the town you had to exit the highway and travel for another 2 kms, and there we found lots of hotels with rooms available.  The town was actually on Wawa Lake, and was known for the fishing and Canadian Geese, there were off road trails going in every direction.  There are bridges alongside the highway for the off road riders.  
Unfortunately for me, I was not able to find a BAR that would make a martini!  I am now running a deficit of 1, tomorrow night we might have to catch up!  Al's bike turned 180,000 kms today, that is reason to celebrate!
531/5827 kms

Lake Superior, Ontario


No comments:

Post a Comment